I have been MIA for a while and here’s why. In mid February I woke up with a terrible lower back ache; it hurt so bad that when I went to visit my favorite yarn store, Color Crossing, that afternoon I had to leave after purchasing my yarn rather than join the knitting group. For the next two – three weeks my back kept hurting off and on but I just chalked it up to snow shoveling, stress etc. As the pain increased it started to hurt in my lower left abdominal area too. One day when I was at Journey House  the pain became so severe that I decided it was time to go figure out what was going on.

I went to see my general practitioner who thought perhaps it could be diverticulitis and she sent me for an ultra sound the next day. The ultrasound tech I had was a student :/ she was being supervised but it added to the stress of the whole experience. Anyhow as they were doing the ultra sound they commented about a large mass that they could see. Their supervisor told them to do a second kind of ultra sound that would give them a better view. Once completed they went off to discuss with the supervisor, whom I never saw, the results. They returned to tell me that they had found a large mass of something that the results would be sent to my doctor and she would let me know next week what they had found.

As I was walking to my car I thought, screw that S*^T, I am not waiting to find out what is going on. I called my doctor when I got in the car, had to leave a message but told her what I had overheard the techs say and what they had told me. Thankfully I have a good GP who takes the time to listen to her patients and seems to really care – she called me back within the hour – she had called the hospital and gotten the results. She recommended that I go back to the hospital to see their GYN but I told her that I wanted the results to go to my own GYN who is one of the best in the Twin Cities. Soon I got a call back from my GP saying my GYN had ordered a CT Scan and that I was to back to the hospital. The ultra sounds and CT Scan were put on a disc that I took to my GYN the next day which happen to be a Friday.

My GYN reviewed the scan did an exam and told me that I needed to have surgery but before they could do the surgery they need to find out if it was cancer. They drew blood and the wait began – it was a long weekend. The results came back on Tuesday; the CA 125 blood test did not show any cancer markers so I was set for surgery on Friday. Tuesday to Friday can be a really long week when you’re waiting.

The surgery went well except for my usual problems with low blood pressure and low oxygen levels afterwards. Unfortunately the biopsy results done during surgery were inconclusive and had to be sent out for further testing. This being Friday the results would not be in till Tuesday. Thus began another long period of waiting. .

On Tuesday I waited for that phone call when it didn’t come by late afternoon I called the doctor’s office only to find out that they had a fire or some sort of power failure, this was never clear to me, and the office was closed for the day – so no results that day. Early Wednesday morning I called the office again and left a message. Later that afternoon a nursed called me back telling me that it was my doctors day off so she would have to call me the next day! It’s a good thing my Doctor is one of the best in the area because the bedside manner is not always the greatest  – and I know she works really hard taking care of her patients, however, it’s very hard to hear “it’s her day off” when you feel like your future is on the line.

When the call came on Thursday, unfortunately, there was no resolution; the results were inconclusive again – I was told it was and wasn’t cancer and no one was sure what that really meant. The next step was an appointment with a GYN Oncologist. I was fortunate to get an appointment the following week – however that meant more stressful waiting.

On the day of my appointment I woke up a bundle of nerves. The results – ovarian cancer, however I am very lucky it was caught in the very earliest of stages and warranted no further treatment. For the next five years I will need to have a CA125 blood test and an exam every six months. After five years of clean tests I can go to annual testing. The Oncologist said that there is only a very small chance, 5-10%, of any reoccurrence.

I feel very blessed and am so thankful for all the people who kept me in their thoughts and prayers and took over my daily responsibilities for me. Friday it will be four weeks since I had my surgery and I am feeling almost fully recovered.

During this ordeal I am afraid I did not do much crafting. You would think one would to keep their mind occupied but I was so tired and felt so stuck that I slept more than anything. But here are a few things that I did do.

IMG_1057 IMG_1056I also did some embroidery but I don’t have any pictures handy. I have also been working on something for my grand-daughters – did I tell you the newest edition to our family is another girl? due at the end of June. I can’t wait to meet her.

Thanks again everyone for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers it helped a lot to know that there were so many people praying for me.

Till next time craft on!


About craftycosmo

I am a wife, mother, grandmother, and crafter extraordinaire. I love to knit, crochet, sew, quilt, spin and cook. Living life one day at a time.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s